Weekend Update!

It was a rather quiet weekend in the kitchen this weekend - shocking, I know! This is because 1) I got a social life, 2) I was in class and 3) I was in recovery mode, sleeping, relaxing etc. I expect a hectic week, so want to be on the top of my "A Game" for it! Plus, I'm on a 5:15am flight tomorrow morning, how cruel!! 

I was on a kale kick this week. I ate a lot of sauteed kale. I'm not entirely sure how I feel about it, but it's good for you and I ate it for about 3 days, so I guess I don't feel terrible about it. Look at this little meal I made with it: Sauteed kale, mashed butternut squash and Turkey Meatloaf. Damn satisfying if I do say so myself! I ate this before Jackie and I killed our 16km run. Having a partner for those distances is WAY better. I'm never want to run alone again....at least not for that long!! 

Fueling for success!   


 So, Friday - yes...a social life! I helped my buddy Travis kick off his birthday week with some Vietnamese food. The lady was so darn cute, I'll go back there for sure! Then, I went for a tea and walk with my new found friend, Kate! She's lovely and she likes to do many of the same things I do! YAY! I met her last weekend when I was out at the family farm. I'm excited about it. After we walked, I headed to Andi's where she fed me some really fantastic Costa Rican food. I binged on rice & beans, salsa, salsa verde and corn tortillas. Gawd, that girl is a genius with the Costa Rican cuisine.
Scenery from the walk!
OK - finally getting to the point... I did try out something new this week. Again, adapted slightly and inspired by PaleOMG. She made this little ditty and I made one for Jackie and I on Tuesday, and then another today. It motivated me to run 16km and then just under 11km of hills today. It seriously tastes like a treat, like I might be eating something bad, but its not bad - its good! And delicious! And eff yes! I too was weirded out by the blueberry/pumpkin combo, but don't be! It just makes it a that much healthier for you.

Pumpkin Pie & Blueberry Protein Smoothie (original version here)
1/2 cup pumpkin puree (pure pumpkin, not pie filling)
1/2 cup frozen blueberries
1 scoop protein powder (I used Isoflex Vanilla flavoured)
1 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp nutmeg
1 cup Coconut Dream milk or Almond Milk (or plain old cow's milk)
Ice cubes

Put it in a blender, food processor, magic bullet, or whatever - blend. Pour (or leave in the blender if you're hardcore). Drink. Smile! 

I drank it before I got a picture. If my tongue was long enough, I would have licked out the insides of this container! It was soooooo good! Have a Happy Week People! xo




What was left! Delish.





Comments

  1. Another really good shake to try is Kale, Cucumber, Kiwi, Banana and a splash of OJ. Super good and super good for you. XO!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

April Foodie Penpal

Black Bean Brownies.... At Last!